In Harmony with Nature
31. 01. 2020
Sustainability is very important to us, especially with regard to our alpine, nature-loving location. This is not about empty words or even marketing platitudes. It is not about the raised forefinger or about renunciation that restricts the quality of life. It is about genuine appreciation for our beautiful living environment, about contemporary mindfulness towards our precious nature, about meaningful responsibility for ourselves and future generations. It is about consciously perceiving the world around us, preserving it and improving it with modern knowledge. Instead of large, unattainable goals, we focus on small steps and gestures. And if everyone contributes a small part, this will result in a big movement. We want to provide the impetus here and there, inspire our guests, create awareness and thus make our contribution.
In terms of sustainability, we already made conscious decisions when building the Hotel SEPP:
- The hotel is built with concrete formwork blocks in a construction method that is conducive to the indoor climate, which saves air conditioning systems and excessive heating. By the way, if you simply open the window in summer instead of humming air conditioning that is harmful to health and the environment, you can feel the soothing mountain air that caresses the skin with a gently refreshing breeze.
- For the facade design, only reclaimed wood was used, i.e. used wood was recycled, which is very much in the spirit of material conservation and sustainability. And on top of that, upcycling elements also look really stylish!
- The hotel is heated with wood chips - also a particularly sustainable modern solution, because these wood wastes provide precious energy.
- We do not use minibars in the rooms, as the devices are enormous energy guzzlers and would also have to be replaced every 5 years, whereby the coolants and the technology are enormously harmful to the environment when the devices are disposed of. We do not want to be responsible for this "environmental sin". By the way: A minibar consumes on average about 152 kg CO2 per year. With 40 rooms, we therefore save over 6,000 kg of CO2 per year without a minibar. Besides, it's so nice to meet up with nice people for a drink in the SEPP loft. And if you get thirsty in your room, you can simply tap a glass of fresh, delicious mountain spring water, which comes directly from the tap.
- We no longer automatically put the plastic-wrapped, rubber-soled, high plastic bath slippers in the rooms. Many guests have their own slippers with them. However, if the hotel slippers are taken out of the bag even just "to look at", we as a hotel have to dispose of them directly for hygiene reasons. This produces huge amounts of waste per hotel, which we find irresponsible. For this reason, guests are only given the bathing slippers at our hotel if they expressly request them and pay a small contribution towards expenses.
- We also avoid individual plastic packaging such as portioned butter etc. for reasons of sustainability. Therefore, we offer delicious jam, honey, butter, etc. at the buffet for self-portioning. Sausage and cheese are always freshly sliced in small quantities for the brunch buffet. This way we avoid food waste already at breakfast.
- When buying food we pay attention to regional products. The bread is brought from the baker in Maria Alm, eggs from the local farmer, sausage, meat and cheese as far as possible also from regional suppliers. Of course, this is not possible with all foods, but if we can save on delivery routes and thus reduce the burden on the environment, of course we do it. Besides, local products are so delicious anyway! We even grow herbs ourselves seasonally and then use them in the kitchen.
- In the public hotel areas as well as in the rooms, we have used many natural materials and dispensed with sealing varnishes and wax. For example, the wooden floors and walls are completely untreated. Looks quaint anyway!
- In the guest rooms there are refillable soap dispensers to avoid small packaging units. We also deliberately do not use "amenities" such as individually packaged cotton pads, nail files, etc. in the rooms to avoid unnecessary waste. Of course, we keep a small supply at the reception in case a guest needs it.
- For guest transfers and deliveries, we rely on e-mobility from Greenstorm and therefore have two electric vehicles to avoid both exhaust and noise emissions. We move between our two hotels either "on foot" or with our environmentally friendly "TreeCycle", with which we can shuttle guests and also make smaller deliveries between the hotels.
- For guests with e-vehicles and the hotel's own e-mobiles, we have wallboxes from the www.freiesolarroute.at/solarro... installed. In addition, there are Tesla electric charging stations in our hotels.
- The tap water in the hotel comes directly from the springs of the surrounding mountains. Thus, we can drink the water directly from the tap. Therefore, we provide a glas water bottle in the rooms for self-filling and thus avoid the waste of disposable bottles.
- Appreciation towards our employees is of course also an essential sustainability factor for us, because we trust each other, rely on each other, inspire each other and ideally the spark goes over and inspires our guests!
Cool and stylish design with upcycling elements, fresh mountain air, nice people, big bar instead of mini-bar, fresh air instead of air conditioning, delicious mountain spring water - this is how sustainability is fun!